How to prepare if you may be losing HUSKY
- If you are cut from the program, check if you are eligible under
another category. SHOUT will have information on the best way to do
- Get in all your appointments now. When you schedule the appointment,
let them know that you may be about to lose HUSKY.
- Check out other options. Ask your employer about coverage. Do any
groups or associations you belong to offer insurance.
- If you are in treatment - talk with your doctor or clinic about
making sure that you can finish the treatment.
- Talk with your doctor or clinic - Negotiate the best price, before
the service if possible. Ask for the HUSKY price. Ask about reasonable
or zero interest payment plans.
- If you are going to miss a payment - call them first to work it out.
- Ask about ways to cut costs. Ask if every visit is essential or can
it be done over the phone. If you have prescriptions, ask if there is
a cheaper option that will work just as well.
- Get care at a community health center. These clinics offer excellent
care at rates based on income. To find one near you, call INFOLINE at
- If you have to go to the hospital, apply for "free bed
funds." The billing department will have information on how to
The Consumer Health Action Network is a joint effort of
the Connecticut Health Policy Project and Student Health Outreach. For
more information, call (203) 562-1636 or (203) 777-9540 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.